Garmin Edge 520 - GPS Bike Computer – GPS Cycle Computer
We started with the aerodynamic form factor of the popular Edge 500, added in-ride challenges on Strava live segments, colour display, connected capabilities and advanced analysis features. The result — Edge 520, the GPS bike computer that’s right-sized for competitive cyclists and packed with the features you crave.
Scope of delivery
- Garmin Edge 520 Bike-Computer
- Mounts (standard and extended out-front)
- USB cable
GPS Bike Computer that Helps You Compete and Compare
- Offers in-ride challenges through Strava live segments
- Reports cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time when used with power and heart rate
- Pairs with compatible ANT+® indoor trainers for data display and control
- Tracks Functional Threshold Power (FTP), watts/kg and cycling dynamics when used with Vector™ or Vector 2 power meters
- Connected features¹: automatic uploads, live tracking, smart notifications, send/receive courses, social media sharing, weather
Prove Your Edge
Edge 520 is the first bike computer that’s compatible with Strava live segments and includes a 3-month trial of Strava Premium. With this membership, your starred Strava segments automatically sync with the 520 for live feedback during your ride. You’ll also get alerts for segment start and finish and leaderboard rankings once you complete the segment.
Train on the Edge
Need some motivation to get through those lonely miles on the indoor trainer? Edge 520 delivers with a suite of training capabilities when paired with compatible ANT+ indoor trainers. Let’s say you want to train at an average power of 240 watts. Just set the target on Edge 520, start pedalling, and the trainer will automatically adjust to keep you at your target while the 520 shows your stats. You can also follow a course that you or another rider created and literally race the recorded stats, with the trainer adjusting resistance to match the elevation profile. Pair it with a power meter and Edge 520 offers an additional set of features, like FTP and watts/kg tracking, so you can compare yourself to others, as well as cycling dynamics². A built-in FTP test helps you establish your baseline either on the trainer or on the road. Add heart rate³ and the 520 can derive your VO2 max estimate and post-ride recovery time, which indicates how long before you should attempt another hard effort.
Edge 520 compromises nothing when it comes to display — 2.3 inches of high resolution colour. We maximised the display so you get the most live area in relation to the compact size of the 520. You’ll also appreciate the screen clarity in all lighting conditions.
The Connected Bike
Edge 520 is compatible with ANT+ sensors, including Varia™ bike radar and lights4, speed, cadence, heart rate, Edge and VIRB® remotes and compatible weight scales. It also integrates with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems5 to display your current gear on the screen. Edge 520 is also compatible with ANT+ power meters, including the Vector series.
When paired with your compatible phone and the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app, Edge 520 offers live tracking, smartphone alerts, social media sharing, weather and wireless uploads. Once your ride is complete, the data can be automatically sent to Garmin Connect™, our online community where you can save, plan and share your rides.
Off the Beaten Path
The compact, rugged form factor and up to 15 hour battery life of Edge 520 make it ideal for off-road adventures. It’s also compatible with GPS and GLONASS satellites, so you benefit from more signal options, wherever your ride takes you.
1When paired with a compatible phone.
2When used with Vector or Vector 2 power meter.
3Included with some models, sold separately on others.
4With future software update.
5Compatible with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems with Shimano D-Fly Data Management function.
Compared with the Di2-circuit the competitor Shimano has been lacking a display that information on the engaged gear and the remaining battery power supplies. But this is changing now. Thanks to the cooperation of Sram and Garmin owners of the GPS Bike Computer Edge 520 and Edge 1000 can accurately pick this feature on board. But only a free software update via the Garmin Express platform is necessary - and receives the computer via ANT + protocol information about the chained transition and to the battery charge state in front derailleur and rear derailleur. This information can be displayed on the screen of the computer. The Red ETAP group itself does not need a software update for the additional function.
- 4,9 x 7,3 x 2,1 cm
- Display size: 3,5 x 4,7 cm
- Display resolution: 200 x 265 Pixels
- Color display
- Battery life: up to 15 Hours
- Water rating: IPX7
- GPS-enabled: yes
- GLONASS: yes
- High-sensitivity receiver: yes
- Smart Notifications: yes
- Waypoints: 200
- History: up to 180 Hrs.
- Compatible with Vector™: yes
- Bike speed/cadence sensor: yes (optional)
- Heart rate monitor: yes (optional)
- Virtual Partner®: yes
- Courses: yes
- Auto Pause®: yes
- Auto-Lap®: yes
- Auto Scroll: yes
- Advanced workouts: yes
- Time/distance alert: yes
- Interval training: yes
- Heart rate-based calorie computation: yes
- Customizable screen: yes
- Power meter compatible: yes (ANT™ + records data approx. 1 per second)
- Temperature: yes
- Garmin Connect: yes
- Automatic Sync: yes
- Compatible with Varia™ bike radar and lights: Yes
- Edge® remote compatibility: Yes
- LiveTrack: Yes
- Advanced performance and power analysis, including new Time in Zone, FTP tracking, cycling-specific VO2 and recovery and cycling dynamics
- Bike trainer profile for compatible Turbo trainer data display and control
- On-device segment compatibility for dynamic and engaging in-ride competition
- Operating temperature: -20°C to +55°C
- Connected features via a smartphone: Yes
- Compatible with Garmin Connect™ and Garmin Connect™ Mobile: Yes
- Compatible with VIRB® action cameras: Yes
- Integration with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting: Yes
- Weather alerts: Yes
- Preloaded Garmin cycling map: No
- Wi-Fi® compatible: No
- Round-trip routing: No
- Route planner: No