Zipp 303 Firecrest® Carbon Clincher Rearwheel
Fast, light and versatile wheels: the 303 Firecrest® Carbon Clincher from Zipp
Every Firecrest rim is designed and made by hand in Indianapolis. Zipp’s original 303 Tubular made history by becoming the first carbon wheelset to win cycling’s two most famous Cobbled Classics, Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders. Its wider rim provided extra durability, and improved aerodynamics. That wider rim also led to the development of our revolutionary Firecrest® technology.
At the center of these wheels is the pro-proven 77/177 hubset. Its optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern is paired with Sapim® CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness. Each wheel includes a quick-release skewer with a wide, more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, the lever contours neatly with the frame. And at just 1,480grams, it’s light enough to dance up the steepest gradients with ease as a go-to all-around wheelset.
The Firecrest rim shape optimizes the aerodynamic profile of both the front half and the back half of the wheel. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards, giving the 45 mm-deep rim the crosswind stability a box-section rim. At the same time, the 26.4 mm-wide brake track (at center) allows the clincher tire to take on a wider, more stable shape without compromising rolling resistance. It’s faster, simpler, and more stable. Exposed spoke nipples sit in the aerodynamic shadow of the rims, keeping serviceability simple without compromising speed.
Heavy continuous braking on carbon surfaces can cause spikes in rim temperature and tire pressure that impact performance and handling – especially with clincher tires. To solve this challenge, the composites supplier created a heat-resistant resin exclusively for Zipp. This technology improves heat dissipation so substantially that our Carbon Clinchers have never had a heat-related failure.
Features - Zipp 303 Firecrest® Carbon Clincher Rearwheel
- ABLC™ Sawtooth™ dimple design extends all the way to the rim’s edge to reduce high yaw
- 77/177 hubsets offer versatile axle compatibility and easy set up with no bearing pre-load adjustment needed
- Showstopper™ brake track for braking performance that delivers the best modulation and shortest stopping distances in wet and dry conditions
- New, faster, more stable rim profile - AeroBalance™
- Use: Road
- Model: 303 Firecrest® Carbon Clincher Rearwheel
- Rim size: 28"
- Tyre type: Clincher
- Spokes: 24
- Brake type: Rim Brake
- Tubeless system: No
- Max recommended system weight: 115kg (body weight + bike + equipment)
- Max tire pressure: 8.62bar (125psi)
- Rim: Zipp 303 Firecrest
- Dimension (ETRTO): 17-622C
- Outer witdh: 26.4mm
- Inner width: 17mm
- Rim depth: 45mm
- Valve hole: SV (6.5mm)
- Hub: Zipp 177
- Hub axle system: 10 x 130mm QR
- Spoke type: Sapim CX-Ray
- Spoke pattern: 2-cross
- Spoke length: 272mm / 270mm (l/r)
- Nipple type: Sapim secure-lock
- Shimano Freehub: 8-/9-/10-speed Shimano/SRAM (Road)
- Rim: Carbon
- Hub: Aluminum
- Spokes: Stainless steel
- Nipples: Aluminium
- black with white decals
- 835g (manufacturer information)
ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control)
Showstopper™ is a complimenting pairing of a directional, molded-in, texture with silicon carbide particles suspended in the surface resin.